Final wrap-up: Re-sculpted parts of the hair, did a lot of texture cleanup, worked on the skin and set up subsurface scattering and re-posed her, crammed into Marmoset and spent a couple of hours setting up shaders.
So here’s Merilin, dashing elven scoundrel, infamous for stealing the hearts and coinpurses of lasses and noble ladies alike. She clocks out at 18582 triangles, with 2048x texture maps for the head/hair and body, consisting of diffuse, specular, alpha, normal and translucency. I sculpted her in Zbrush, then made a game resolution version of the model and did bakes, the whole spiel. Rendered realtime in Marmoset Toolbag.
The character design and entire model and texture work is mine. Dagger and sheath designs were contributed by the amazing Jukka Rajaniemi.
Thank you all who cheered me along this huge project. I spent over a month working on her during evenings and weekends and she’s the single most high-effort model I’ve made so far.
I hope you all dig her! You can also find my work on DeviantArt.
You are the most inspirational person I know! It’s been fantastic to follow this project and finally see it finished this excellently! The design is wonderfully detailed and I can tell you have been really thinking through the clothing and the facial anatomy. The hair is adorable and so is her expression.
There isn’t really much critique to say, only some pretty tiny things that came to my mind: This depends on how far you want to go with the polycount optimization, but there could be just one extra loop on the shoulders to make them smoother. It just pops out because it’s so big area that can be clearly seen on the silhouet. Also, the belt area looks a bit flat, but it depends how closely you look. Again, it depends on how optimized you want it, but the belt could have been modelled instead of just made using the normal map. It looks that the belt could strech a bit unnaturally if animated. Maybe just modelling the buckle could help. But these are very minor things and not really problems if you wanted to go for lower polycount. But fixing these things wouldn’t add that much to the polycount, maybe max couple hundreds polygons. With todays AAA standards you don’t propably need to be that strict with the polys, especially if it’s the main character. That’s about all critique I could squeeze out, so fantastic work! Keep being awesome!